Monday, April 30, 2007

I'll Always be a Cancer Mom

The fear is so bright, it is blinding. Some days it is so strong that I can taste it, like a meal I'd never want to eat again. And so it hit this weekend. We were enjoying a day in Minneapolis. Jonathan had a fishing tournament with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in the morning and we had an afternoon of festivities planned for the rest of the day. After enjoying a picnic in the park, we decided to visit one of our favorite Middle Eastern grocery stores. Jonathan was complaining that he was thirsty -- but hey -- who wasn't? It was 80 degrees and we'd all had a bit too much sun. I told him we'd stop for drinks after visiting the store. While we were in the store, he lost it. He started crying hysterially, saying that his legs hurt, his head hurt, his eyes hurt, and that he was certain that his cancer was back. That was all I needed to hear -- Cancer Mom was back.

We got him some water and drove to the nearest Walgreens for a thermometer. His fever was 104, so I went back into the store for some children's motrin. They day was done -- and we drove home from the cities, quietly talking between us what it would be like if his cancer had really returned. I didn't sleep much that night.

The next morning Jonathan was up before all of us -- ready to go. No fever, no signs of illness. And he's still fine today.

So what was this all about? Probably a virus, maybe a reaction to being in the sun all morning, who knows? But, I've come to the conclusion that I will never be able to react to Jonathan's illnesses with the carefree attitude that I had five years ago.

And I guess that his illness has played a huge role in the person that I am today. I believe that I care more about people, that I try to make the most of the opportunities that we are given. Life is so fragile and we never know when it will end.

Yes, I'll always be a cancer mom. But I'll also be so much more than that. This will not define me, but instead will play a vital role in shaping the person that I am becoming.

No comments: