Monday, April 30, 2007

Canoes are Awfully Heavy!

Well, my workouts for this weekend didn't go exactly as planned. I had a long (well, at least for this time in the season long) bike and run planned, but neither of them got done. I was too obsessed with Jonathan's fever on Saturday to do any running, and on Sunday I spent most of my biking time with a canoe.

Why the canoe? Well, I sure wish I had pictures for this. I'll have to get some soon because I'm sure Marcia and I created quite a scene walking down the middle of the road with a canoe on our shoulders. We are training for an off-road tri in June -- 16 miles of canoeing, 26 miles of mountain biking, and 7 miles of trail running. This was part of my "taking a year off from IM" plan. I'm not longer taking that year off, but I'm still going to do the races that I want to do and try to make my training fit me, instead of the other way around.

So, Marcia and I loaded up the 78 pound canoe on our shoulders and walked the 3 blocks to the Mississippi River -- as we walked we talked about how we are the luckiest girls in the world. We live 2 miles apart, but both of us live 3 blocks from one of the biggest rivers in the world. The River plays a huge role in my bike and run route planning.

We got the canoe in the river and paddled up river first -- there was a strong wind and a current and since my last canoe experience was 17 years ago we were a little worried. Marcia has been canoeing alot in recent years, but she has never had to steer before. We did AWESOME! I was so proud of us. After about 75 minutes of canoeing it was time to go home, but I think both of us feel really good about our abilities to do this race. It will be really hard, but we are strong women and we can do it! Plus, it was a blast just having the time with my friend. We are both so busy that it is rare that we get to spend uninterupted time together. And it was a blast! I'm so fortunate to have a friend like her.

Friends are one of the greatest benefits of my tri training. But more about that later.

No comments: