Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ellie's Hotel and the Catapult



Ellie (aka Rachel) opened up her garage top hotel for business today. Her first two customers had lots of pets join them. She even has service for Jack, the wonderdog -- with two different types of water. I don't understand that, but I guess I don't have to!


Meanwhile, up on the deck on the other side of the yard, Jonathan is building a catapult. It seems to be aimed directly at Ellie's hotel, which concerns me just a bit. There could be a war in a few hours. I might just have to distract them with a meal of peace.

Watching my kids play this summer seems to be more of a joy than it ever has before. Our little family has been through a lot, and my kids have seen and heard more than kids really should. It is such a gift of God's grace to me to be able to watch my kids just be kids. They are playing and creating today to their hearts' content and it is a thing of great beauty to me.

Sure, they are real kids who say "Mom, I'm bored," a little too often and they can be really mean to each other. But they are miracles to me, each and every one of them. They have saved my life, more than once. I am beyond blessed to be able to do life with them.

3 comments:

Melissa Everts said...

I agree! Your kids are so sweet and imaginative! I only wish that trait carried through adulthood. Oh the simple pleasure life can bring when you take a step back and use your imagination...

Debi said...

I think one of the gifts of learning to "just be" is that we notice more of the blessings that are around us. Our children give us these blessings often but we can easily miss them if we are too busy or preoccoupied. I am glad you are able to "notice" these blessings in your children today. Hey look at that! A positive use of the word "notice!" :-)

Melissa said...

Oh Debi! You made me smile! I'm looking forward to spending time with you today.

And Melissa . . . it is my life goal to bring back that imaginative trait to at least my adulthood. There's a lot of good to be found in childlikeness.