Monday, June 1, 2009

Miracle Pictures, Part One

This picture is a miracle. Actually it is many miracles, but that is something you would never see unless you knew the rest of the story. Over the next few posts, I'm going to make an attempt at capturing some of the miraculous nature of this family photo. In order to do that, I have to tell some difficult things about myself and my family. This is the first time I've told these things, in this way, so please excuse the rough edges in it. It is, afterall, only a first draft.

After years of submitting to physical and emotional abuse, I finally got up the nerve to admit to myself and another person what was happening in my home. I say myself, because for the first 12 years of my marriage I couldn't bring myself to call it abuse. I think it goes back to early days of our marriage when I did tell someone in our church, who told me what was happening was normal, especially in marriages with a strong unsubmissive woman! I spent the next 12 years trying to be good enough, trying to submit more . . . and failing misrably. I know now that the natural outcome of this kind of life is going to be depression, but when it first hit me I was really scared.

I had been separated from my husband for about a month when I first began to think of myself as unworthy of life. The thought was fleeting, but it came back. And back. And back. The world seemed black, overwhelming -- almost like a prison. I didn't see how I could possibly be a good enough person, a good enough mom to even deserve to live. And so I wanted to die. Really bad. And then the shaking started. I would sit and shake and shake. I couldn't stop. In order to stop the pain, I started hitting and cutting myself. It was amazing how the appearance of a bruise or blood on my skin would allow me such emotional relief.

I finally was convinced to take meds, but they couldn't start working soon enough. I know I wouldn't be alive today without the people who surrounded me, who watched my kids, who talked to me late at night, who told me they loved me.

And then, just one month after the depression hit me head on, Jonathan was diagnosed with cancer. At the time, it felt like God had hit me in the gut. The wind was knocked out of me and I no longer had the energy to even be depressed. Fatalism hit me, along with a deep abiding sense that if God existed at all, he was NOT good.

But in the background, God was working to show me his love. The overwhelming nature of my life hit everyone around me . . . it was clear that a single mom with four children age five and under could NOT do this on her own, and so I no longer could hide. I could be angry; everyone expected it. I could be scared; it was a natural feeling. Food came out of the woodwork. People came to help work in my business. People cleaned my house. They watched my kids. And I was free to be on the LONG journey of healing.

There is more to this story, as I would get much sicker before I got better. But, in retrospect, although it seems sick to say it, Jonathan's cancer was a way of salvation (albeit a strange one), not only for me, but also for my relationship with God and my husband.

6 comments:

Jody said...

It's nothing short of amazing to me how so many times God wraps up pain and suffering in ways like cancer and 'gives them to us' knowing full well the pain that will come with such gifts. Yet He doesn't waste the suffering. he suffers with us.
I'm so glad He, in His great mercy, even allows us to suffer so that we can grow closer to Him. I do not understand His ways- I've said that time and time again. But they are ALWAYS bathed in love and with nothing but our best interest through it all.
His love and grace and mercy are amazing. I'm so happy that you are still finding your way to Him and giving Him the glory.
I've changed the words to the song, "In my life Lord, be glorified" to "In my pain Lord, be glorified". And you know what? I think when we give Him that He IS glorified and there IS purpose for our suffering.
Thanks for continuing to share your story. It's been a part of His plan for you since before time began. What a joy to see it unfold with beauty through the pain. God is good. All the time.

Melissa said...

Thanks Jody. It means a lot to me to share our journeys together. You know, far better than most, what it means to suffer. I love that you wrote that He suffers with us. That's the picture I've been carrying with me lately as I think back to the really dark days. Although I certainly felt alone, I now realize that I never was.

Melissa Everts said...

It's amazing how strong of a woman you are! I probably would have killed myself if I were in that situation just because I do not deal with stress all that well and I would have lost all hope after I felt my life was at it's end then to find out my son had cancer...YOU are such a strong, amazing woman and I thank God everyday for giving you the strength to endure that pain and heartache and to overcome that. You know it says in the bible that God is with us even in our most darkest, most loneliest times...Our pains are his pains, our concerns are his concerns, our joys are his joys, our victories are his victories.....Melissa GOD LOVES YOU with every beat of his heart, with every ounce of his strength and might! I thank God that he gave you the strength to hold on when you just wanted to give up and deal with the pain no more! Your stories are an encouragement to all! Thanks for being real and loving JESUS!

What you went through is NOTHING short of AMAZING!

I am very proud of you and honored to call you a friend!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading several of your posts. Your words hit me at the soul level. We have a few things in common. I've never competed in a triathlon, but I'm very familiar with hiding, shame, secrets, and feeling unworthy and undeserving of love. Right now I'm questioning God's existence, and the purpose of my own existence. I read your words about being in the room of grace, and I long to experience that, but it seems pretty unattainable to me. I admire your authenticity and your courage in sharing your story. Thank you.

Melissa said...

Anonymous,

You are so welcome. I was where you are and to quote a good friend, "The only way out is through it." I'm not saying that it is easy or that there is some miracle pill (or Bible verse) that will make it all better. But I do know that there is life on the other side. I know some of how I got here, but much of it remains a mystery . . . a gift of grace that I willingly share with everyone around me.

During some of my days of deepest questioning, I came across this by Rainer Marie Rilke which was really helpful.

Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. So not seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.

My prayer is that one day you will find your way into the Room of Grace with me and others who will welcome you with a huge party and lots of love and hugs (if you'll let us)!

Anonymous said...

Melissa-
Thanks so much for the encouragement, and for the quote you shared. I do have a lot of unsolved things in my heart. Some days I wish I could be anyone else but me. But then I remind myself that the people that appear to have it all together are wearing masks just like I've done most of my life...lying to themselves and everyone around them. It is a very scary thing to look inside at the ugly places that no one else sees. But I know it's necessary in order for me to begin to live the authentic life that I so want to live.