Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back, at least for now

It's been a rough year. I stopped writing just after Ellie's hotel, when our beloved boxer, Jack, died of unknown causes. We had just spend an unheard of amount of money to save him and he died anyway.

For months I couldn't write, I couldn't talk, and I couldn't see God.

Then I got depressed. More depressed than I have ever been. I don't even like to think back to that darkness.

I stopped talking to everyone. I closed myself off and listened only to the craziness of my mind.

When I finally reached out for help, my trusted therapist said to me, "I think you might be angry that you got depressed again. Does this feel like a failure to you?"

Um. Yeah. A big fat failure. It felt like a failure of grace and of everything that I had been learning.

Now I'm learning to be a bit more gentle with myself and with others. I'm certainly not very good at being nonjudgmental towards myself. It seems that I feel that everyone is worthy of grace and compassion but me.

But I'm learning that when I live with that as my truth, I have only made an idol out of perfection, which is not such a great God to serve.

So I'm back to writing again. At least for now, that is.

2 comments:

Debi said...

I am so glad that are offering yourself grace. I love you dear friend!

Melissa Everts said...

WOW! Your truth in this brings tears to my eyes but at the same time joy to my heart to see one of God's weak and wounded such as myself to see that there are others who struggle with hardships, darkness and times of harsh judgment upon themselves as I do...They say that you are your own worst critic so it's such a blessing to see you come through this and still stand strong. Jack was a great dog and I know you loved him very much! Keep your head up and keep fighting, it's when we stop fighting that we have lost the battle...You inspire me so very much! Thanks Melissa!