Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bedtime Stories

I received the most beautiful gift yesterday. It was a long day. A hard day. I haven't slept much for the past week due to all the pain in my knee. I seem to be one of those strange people for whom narcotics has absolutely no effect. I came home from teaching and an intense therapy session yesterday completely wiped out. I collapsed on the couch and didn't even get up to eat dinner.

Caleb, my dear sweet amazing Caleb, came to me about 8:30 and started reading to me. For the next hour, he read me bedtime stories. I'm not sure how "bedtimeish" they were, as they all involved dangerous and deadly creatures, but none the less I was deeply touched by this thoughtful, loving act.

He's only 12. But he knows how to stop Mommy's moaning. For that hour I felt no pain. Only intense love and bonding with my son.

For the first night I only woke a few times with pain. And I felt rested in the morning. Ready to face a long day of teaching.

And I can't wait to get home, to be with my kids. Caleb did threaten me though, that he was going to have to read me his gun safety book tonight because he needs to study. Maybe I'll stop by the library and pick up this book instead.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Melissa,

I think it's so sweet when kids read to their parents. It's nice to have a book read to you every once in a while no matter what book that may be...I loved the Berenstain Bears books..I love it when Chloe reads to me or even when I go to the doctor's office and my mom wants to come with she will read me books while we are there...I thought it was very sweet...