Thursday, July 5, 2007

Formulas Just don't Work

So, I'm doing lots of tutoring this summer in Math. I have been very surprised at how quickly my alegebra knowledge came back. I love working with the neat little formulas and seeing how neat and orderly math can be. Unfortunately, life just isn't like that for me. It isn't neat and tidy at the end of the day. Many days I feel like a hopeless mess!

I'm reading a new book -- Searching for God Knows What, by Donald Miller where he talks about this very thing (at least in the first chapter -- I still can't really figure out where he is going, maybe that's the point?) He writes, "My friend who owns the coffe shop told us, in a tone of kindness and trugh, that nobody he knows who is successful gambles; rather, they work hard, they accept the facts of reality, they enjoy life as it is. 'But the facts of reality stink,' I told him. 'Reality is like a fine wine,' he said to me. 'It will not appeal to children.' And I am grateful my friend stung me in that way, because this truth helped me understand and appreciate life itself, as it is, without the false hope formulas offer" (11).

I really like this quote. As I grow up (finally!) I'm finding that more and more I need to accept myself and my truth for what it is -- instead of trying to make myself fit someone else's mold for my life. My truth and my reality are important and I need to find a way to live with it -- not try to change myself to fit. I'm not sure where this book will lead me, but I think that the journey will be good for me.

Training for and completing IMs the past two summers has really taught me that I can do far more than I give myself credit for. Reaching for a goal that seems out of sight -- and then reaching that goal has been a powerful force in my life. IM has made me physically fitter than I've ever been (resting HR at doctor yesterday was 56!), but it has also had a power affect on other areas of my life, including personal, emotional, and spiritual.

No comments: