Thursday, April 24, 2008

I've already go my surprise for today!



This was quite amazing. I love animals. Big and small. Furry and not so furry. This winter we spent a great deal of time feeding the squirrels who inhabit the many oak trees in our yard. We had some nuts left over from Christmas, so Jonathan put them out on the deck and we spent many hours enjoying the gift of God's creation. The squirrels would get so brave that they didn't even mind that Oreo and Pumpkin (the house cats)were also enjoying the show.


So today, I'm getting ready to start class and one of my students says, "Hey Melissa, guess what I've got?" And out pops a baby squirrel from his shirt pocket. I thought it was a toy, but it looked so real. And yes, indeed, it was real. Someone in his family accidently killed the momma squirrel, so they are taking care of the babies. This little guy was so tame. Yes, I held it. And we all watched it playing around Andrew's jacket during class.


This has so many elements of God written all over it. I can't tell you how much I needed to have a baby squirrel in my class today -- especially this class. I wouldn't have been able to tell you that this is what I needed today, but I sure did.
I'm walking around today with a sense of wonder of what an interesting life I actually lead here in the town of my birth that I once despised.

No comments: