Wednesday, April 23, 2008


Yes, I actually finished Ironman Kona. It was a dream come true in so many ways. Life was very challenging for me in the months after the race, so I don't think I fully enjoyed the memories of my incredible accomplishment.
The following is a report that I wrote after my race. Enjoy . . .
Those who know me best understand why I race Ironman. The answer is really simple; it’s not because I’m fast or really good at it; it’s simply that I can. After my Wisconsin finish, I promised myself that I was done for awhile. But in that post IM depression that I’m finally getting used to, I had a weak moment where I decided to enter the Kona lottery. And promptly forgot about it until I got an e-mail late last April. My training this summer was really rough. I battled a lot of issues that I never had before. Fatigue and stomach problems were my constant foes and I had to remind myself all summer that I am really lucky to do this.

As it turns out, I needed these experiences to get through my race at Kona. As I was struggling through the race, I thought many times about my son and his battle with cancer. Thoughts of his treatment kept me going when I really wanted to quit. And I was reminded on a regular basis of those kids that didn't make it: Noah, Katyln, and Gabby. My life is richer for knowing you, even for such a short time. You taught me that I have so much to be thankful for.

As for my race, like many other lottery winners, I struggled with thoughts of “I don’t belong here” in the months and days leading up to Kona. But once the cannon went off, those thoughts disappeared and I realized that no matter what others thought of me, I had done the work, and I was here, and I was going to finish. No matter what.
The swim was great. I stayed about 150 yards back from the start and away from everything. I had clear water the entire way. The highlight on my swim was seeing two pods of dolphins. The first was a group of five babies who were swimming right under me. I stopped for about 2 minutes just to watch them swim. The second group I saw on my way back -- this time there had to be about 20 of them and they were jumping and playing all around me. There was also a group under me. There went another 3-5 minutes. Needless to say my swim time indicates that I spent quite a good deal of time dolphin watching rather than swimming. I actually forgot that I was supposed to be racing an Ironman for a time. It was truly amazing!T1 was uneventful. Just went through my routine as quickly as possible and got two puffs of sunscreen (not nearly enough).
I got on my bike after that great swim and was surprised at how empty I felt. I didn't want to race at all. The first 10 miles were just gutting it out, trying to think of a reason to stay on my bike and not go join my family for a late breakfast. After we got out of Kona I found my groove and I felt pretty good for about 30 minutes. I ate, drank, and was having a lot of fun. I even passed a few people. Then the stomach issues hit and I really never felt good again the rest of the day. Fortunately they were serving cola on the course and I knew from experience that drinking that should help. So I literally did the whole day on cola (my rocket fuel), small sips of gatoraid, and an occasional pretzel. On the way back from Hawi, the cross winds were really strong and I had to work hard to stay on my bike and off the pavement. I was really glad that I had ridden this part earlier in the week and practiced staying upright in that kind of wind. My mantra for the day was “Don’t wish it away.” This was simple while I was dolphin watching and flying down the hill from Hawi, but I had to really focus on this thought during the last 45 miles of the bike. I talked to some faster bikers later and found out that they didn’t have to deal with this so conditions must have worsened as the day went on, but the headwinds were terrible heading back to Kona. I mean working really hard going downhill and reaching max speeds of 14 mph (DOWNHILL) bad. I went from thinking that I would have a PR on the bike to wondering if I would actually make the bike cutoff. I was hot, tired, and dehydrated. Surprisingly, though, it was during this section of the course where I passed the most people. At least I wasn’t alone out there. I guess my experience really helped me to gut it through and push when I least felt like it. As much as I hated feeling sick this summer on the bike, those experiences taught me ways to get through the difficult moments that came fast and furious during this bike. Without those hard times I never would have known what to do on a day where I spent most of the time with awful stomach cramps.
So, I made the bike cut off and headed out onto the run. My stomach was still bothering me, so the run was done on ice chips, coke, and eventually chicken broth. The best thing I can say about the run is that I stayed consistent throughout all of it. My pace was the same, if not a tiny bit faster, at mile 23 as it was at mile 3. I ran some, walked most, and tried to focus on not passing out or throwing up. It was hard. Really hard. I tried to find the little things, like the beautiful flowers at the side of the road or the amazing site of double amputee Scott Rigsby to remind me to focus on “Don’t wish it away.” About mile 17 right before the turn around in the Energy Lab I tripped and fell off the side of the road right into the lava. That was one of the few times that I was actually running near anyone and he wanted me to get medical help. I was fine, bruised and bleeding, but fine. And really mad. I didn’t want anyone telling me that my race was over. So to prove it to myself and anyone watching, my fastest and longest run of the day was the ½ mile after I fell. I even finally caught and passed the German couple that I had trying to catch up to for the past 10 miles. On a positive note my IT Band that has been plaguing me for 2 years didn’t hurt until mile 23, and my right foot never hurt at all. The next day the only thing that really hurt was the sunburn I got (it eventually blistered and ranks up there with giving birth in the pain factor). Note to self: put sunscreen on yourself, even if they tell you not to!
It was simply amazing running down Alii drive to the finish. I was so happy to have made it through such a difficult day. I got my medal, t-shirt, picture, and a massage. Then I threw up. A nice capstone on a difficult day.

As I was racing, I thought many times about my son and his battle with cancer. Thoughts of his treatment kept me going when I really wanted to quit. And I was reminded on a regular basis of those kids that didn't make it: Noah, Katyln, and Gabby. My life is richer for knowing you, even for such a short time. You taught me that I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments: