Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Power of Five Bucks


So last fall I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I was completely engrossed in this story and for days believed that the characters were really people. I grieved deeply for Frannie and her family as they experienced various losses. When I finished reading, I felt a sense of loss that I couldn't know more about this family.

What on earth does this have to do with a five dollar bill? As I was reading the book, I read about a savings plan that involved saving all of the five dollar bills that come into a person's possession. This reminded me so much of the tin bank that Frannie's mom had nailed to the floor, that I just had to try it. So for two months, I didn't spend any five dollar bills. I added to this pot, all of the change that I received, any surprise money that came my way (extra tutoring jobs), and any money that I was going to spend but didn't (as in turning down buying coffee and bringing my own). By Christmas I had well over $300 saved up! It made me realize how much money I spend without thinking about it. And it also enabled us to spend money that we didn't expect on Christmas gifts. I can't tell you how good it felt to go into my secret hiding place and pull out a wad of money to spend on Christmas. We've been digging out from under a pile of bad business debt and money had been tight for all of my recent memories. It was so nice just to be able to be generous at Christmas last year.

No comments: