Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Notes from The New Friars





I loved this book. I was challenged, I felt joyous, and I felt grieved as I read it. As I came to the finish I found that the qualities that Scott uses to describe the qualities of the new friars are indeed ones that I long to embrace in my world, right here, right now. They are (taken from page 172):



  • incarnation--tearing down the insulation and becoming real to those in trouble

  • devotion -- making intimacy with Christ our all-consuming passion

  • community -- intentionally creating interdependence with others

  • mission -- looking outside ourselves

  • marginalization -- being countercultural in a world that beckons us to assimilate at the cost of our conscience

This is the kind of life that I feel called to lived.

No comments: