Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ordinary Days

School is done (for me), and I am quickly adjusting to the calm after the storm. It has been so very nice to have a little extra time to just do what I want. I've been running at such a high speed for so long -- I can't believe how good it feels to wake up in the morning and to know that I don't HAVE to be anywhere. Of course this will get old after a while, but it feels great right now.

Training is going great. Yesterday I broke a huge barrier for me in the swim as I swam a 500 yard TT in 9:55. My previous best at this distance was 10:25. So, despite the fact that I don't feel faster, I guess I am getting there little by little. I still think about that ocean swim at least once a day, but I think that I will be able to get in the training that I need to feel confident about it by the time October 13 rolls around.

I had the wonderful opportunty to see an old friend yesterday, Jenny. She is one of those people who make you want to be a better person just by being in their presence. She has such a gentle spirit and leads in such an amazing way. I've really missed her the past four years. She and her husband took in the twins after Jonathan was diagnosed with leukemia. I think she took care of them for almost four months. She is also the one who encouraged me to pursue a friendship with Marcia when I was feeling so lonely after moving back to St. Cloud. Her awareness of the fact that Marcia and I were perfect for each is an incredible example of the person that she is. I miss Jenny alot -- but she didn't leave me alone when she moved. She walked with me through some very difficult days and by the time she left I had an amazing support network of friends. She is one of my heros.

Jonathan had one of his regular follow-up visits last Friday -- still cancer free and in excellent health. He had an echo on his heart, which looked great. I finally got up the nerve to ask when they will use the "c-word" (cure) with him. The doctor told me that they don't consider kids cured until they are five years off treatment -- so we have three more to go. But she also gave me a great deal of hope by saying that with the treatments these days, kids who don't relapse on therapy have an excellent chance of never relapsing. I felt really light and free after leaving Children's last Friday. He doesn't have to go back for another SIX MONTHS!

Mother's day was great. We spent the day at my parent's house and the kids were wonderful. I'm so blessed to be their mom. They've put up with a lot from me while I've gone back to school. I'm really proud of how mature they are becoming. All parents say this, but I have to say that my kids are amazing.

I went running with the boys last night. Andrew rode his bike and Caleb and Jonathan ran "with" me. Well, actually they ran in front of me. I thought that this would be a good night to take them as I'm in a rest week and I was supposed to run really slow. I learned last night that I need to take them on speed workouts instead. They would run way ahead of me and turn around and wait. Then I overheard Caleb say to Andrew, "Look! I can even run faster than mom when I"m running backwards." HaHa Caleb! Anyway, it was really fun to share my love for running with them. Caleb told me that he wants to do this three times a week. Again -- I am so incredibly blessed.

That's all for now.

No comments: