Friday, May 25, 2007

Cold Water

It's not nearly so easy to be faithful to writing in this blog now that I'm not on the computer every day. I'm really enjoying my time off -- maybe a bit too much. All those projects that I've sworn I would do once I was done with school are just simply not getting done. Instead I'm volunteering at the kids' school, going to soccer practice, reading books, hanging out with friends, cooking and training. I still don't seem to have a huge interest in getting the housework done!

This week, for the first time ever, I swam five times! I am really concerned about that ocean swim in Hawaii, so I'm going to spend a lot of time in the pool/lake between now and then. I can already tell that I'm swimming better now that I'm swimming on a regular basis. I can't promise five times a week for the next 16 weeks, but I do think I can get wet more often than I had in the past.

Today I had a wonderful day with Marcia and Amy. We went down to Gear West to get Marcia a wetsuit -- of course I had to pick up a few thing too :-) On the way home we stopped at Warner Lake and did our first open water swim of the season. Brrr. The first five minutes were "take your breath away" cold. After awhile I found my grove and actually enjoyed it. It is still strange to hear the words "I", "enjoy" and "open water swims" coming out of my mouth.

Tomorrow is my first race of the season -- the Apple Du. I'm not very excited about it. It's supposed to be cold, wet, and windy -- sounds like IM Wisconsin 06 to me. I'm not a big fan of duathalons anyway and being cold during one just doesn't really appeal to me. Oh, well -- it will be a way to get a good training day in and ensure that I actually do train tomorrow.

No comments: