Thursday, May 21, 2009

What is THAT on the Wall?

When Jonathan was two and half years old, I had three boys under the age of three. There is much about that time that I don't remember, but there are a few precious memories that come out at family gatherings and holidays. This is one of them . . .

I had just returned from a retreat. For some reason I didn't consume the bag of Hershey's with almond minitures that I had taken on the trip. In true ADD fashion, I didn't bother to take them downstairs, but rather put them in the closest drawer while I was unpacking, the one in my bedside table.

The next morning I was really tired. The kind of tired that you can only be if you have three kids two and under and you had just been at a retreat where people played Mexican train dominoes until three in the morning.

Naturally, Jonathan was not tired and came into my room as soon as the birds started singing, somewhere around 5am. I told him, rather sleepily, to go back to bed. And he did. As I drifted back to sleep, I thought to myself, "I have the best little boy in the world. He's so obedient. I'm such a great mom."

Yeah right. Now I know better. Jonathan did go back to his room, but he didn't go back to sleep. On his way out of my room, he opened the drawer by my bed and ever so silently removed the bag of chocolates. He took them to his room and ate many of them. At some point he must have remembered what we had been talking about concerning sharing, because he woke up his brothers and began unwrapping the chocolates and passing them through the bars of their cribs. It's just great to see your kids share!

When I woke up 90 minutes later, I walked in their room and saw brown everywhere. On their faces, on the sheets, on the wall, on the floor, on their pjs. Yes, everywhere. I sniffed the room in horror. Surely this couldn't be . . . .? And then I saw the pile of Hershey wrappers. Lots of them. A full bag full, actually. And, in neat little piles on the floor beside Caleb and Andrew's cribs were almonds with all the chocolate sucked off! They still don't like nuts.

And I still love my kids. Jonathan turn 13 this year. He's still a leader, creating fun stories and games for the rest of the family to enjoy. He's a leader at school and home. If something is happening, he's usually the one who started it. He has such a tender heart. As I look at the changes ahead for him, it is my prayer that he grow to really know who he is in Christ. That he will not be afraid of his sin and that he will not go into hiding. That when he feels shame he will have the courage to trust God and others with it. That he will know that his mother loves him when he is good and when he is bad. That my love for him is not conditioned on his performance for me. I want him to know and experience the deep love and grace of God in his daily life.

I hold this prayer for all of my children, but today my heart is full of Jonathan.

1 comment:

Melissa Everts said...

This is a really funny but cool story Melissa. Man the things kids do...My sister and I used to sneak downstairs at night and have ice cream and fudge cycles but we didn't want our dog to go bonkers and wake up our parents, then we would be busted...so we kept him quiet by sharing the treats with him...Oh how I miss our dog Red...I really like your prayer for Jonathan, I think it's awesome that you are speaking that over his life, I know one day it will help him so much...even now a prayer of truth and grace like that I know helps him even now in his life...What an encouraging and powerful prayer to pray and speak over his life!...Keep Blogging!