Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Aika


The kids and Aika at Christmas time. Oh, and Andrew's polar bears. It's been fun for the kids to have a big sister, I think. As I reflect back on the past few months of having a teen age daughter, I have to say that it really wasn't all that bad. Yes, at times she annoyed me. But there were other times when I felt so blessed to have her in our home. In many ways I wish that she could have visited our family at a different season of our life, but she was there during one of my bleakest periods.

In some ways, I think she was part of what pushed me over the edge and back to desiring God. Not her so much, but rather what she represented. Having her in our home forced me to go back and remember Kazakhstan in a deeper way. To remember what was so great about it, and what was so challenging. It helped me reconnect with some of my friends who are still there. It hurt to remember all of those people that I left. It really hurt to remember all of the dreams that were abandoned. But it was remembering that needed to be done so that I can move ahead into what God wants me to do today.

So, I'm glad she came into our lives and I will miss her when she is gone. She is very different from me -- and at times I couldn't stand her vanity, but she taught me so much about myself and my children. I thank God for sending Aika into our lives. I believe that when she first came, I thought that God had brought her to us so that we could help her -- but in the end, I think that I got much more out of the bargain. Not because she was so wonderful, but because she could be a challenge to live with. I don't think I got it right most of the time, but I sure learned an awful lot.

No comments: