Thursday, May 8, 2008

Brothers and Sisters

When Jonathan was ready to start kindergarden, my father was the superindendent of the school district where we lived. So, unlike many of my friends who have wrestled with private vs. public school vs. homeschooling, I didn't have a choice. My children were going to the public school in our neighborhood and that was that.

I can't believe that was six years ago. It seems like just yesterday that I was dropping my little bald headed son (he was on chemo then) off in a room full of strangers.

And now as I reflect back I am so thankful that God selected the school for my children to attend. He arranged some amazing things for my children at this "rough school" and I couldn't be more appreciative.

Jonathan had a difficult time making friends. He missed half of kindergarten. He was more than a little shy (no one believes this anymore). His first friend was a boy named Isaiah. As I picked up the phone to call his home and ask if Isaiah could come over to play, I couldn't have been more scared. I had no idea what I was getting into. And I had no idea of the amazing friendships that would come out of this one. You see, Isaiah has two bothers and a sister. His younger brother is the same age as Andrew and Caleb. His sister is the same age as Rachel. And this family of four is part of a much larger family. One of those other families also go to the same school as my children and they have four kids -- a son Jonathan's age, a son Andrew and Caleb's age, and two girls who are a year older and a year younger than Rachel!

The most amazing thing about these families is that they hold very similar values to ours. And the kids are the best of friends. Yesterday we took them all to the park -- three moms, twelve kids, amazing friendships. It was one of the best afternoons I've had in a long time. I'm still feeling so amazingly blessed today.

As I look over my life and all of the moves that I went through in the early years of my marriage, as I think about the deep lonliness I felt at times, I am deeply grateful that God led us back to my hometown and to this part of my hometown. And I'm really glad that my father was in the position he had been in -- because I probably would not have sent my children to a public school if he hadn't. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: