Monday, May 5, 2008

Weekend Surprises

Friday's surprise came during a wonderful evening out with Marcia. Everytime I spend time with her I am reminded of God's grace in my life. She came into my life when I needed a friend most and she has never left. She has shown me what God's love is like -- she didn't leave when I rarely spoke to her, she didn't leave when I made decisions she questioned, she didn't leave when I raged at God. We have both taken the Strength Finders test and have one of our strengths in common -- connectedness. As we have recognized this, it is so obvious in our conversations that we both share this strength. We love to find the connections in the things that we read, hear, and the people that we know. I am able to tell Marcia things and she will say, "Wow," when others look at me like I'm nuts. She gets my incredible need to find connections everyone. Anyway, I was reminded on Friday night how unbelievably blessed I am to have her in my life!

Saturday's surprise was finally seeing the sun! It has been cold and grey up here for more days than I care to recount. After a cold windy start, the sun eventually came out and warmed our pale skin. The kids went outside and played for hours in the afternoon. It was so neat for me to watch them play together -- they use their imaginations so well and have long standing "dramas" that they have been playing for years. Each one of them plays various characters (most of them dogs) and each character has very distinct personalities that can be seen on the face and in the voice of the characters they play. I love to watch them play like this.
Sunday's surprise was the opportunity to get on my bike and ride, ride, ride. It almost didn't happen -- the day was crazy with all sorts of "emergencies" and as I told Marcia my story during the ride she wondered that I didn't call and cancel the ride. But I didn't and I was so glad. It was warm, it was sunny, and I needed that long ride in the worst way. It was another day to spend with my best friend, and another chance to thank God for the strength and time that I have to be able to ride my bike.

No comments: