Friday, May 2, 2008

The Prize


Okay. I admit that it wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize. It wasn't even a big prize. But it was a wonderful surprise for me, coming at a time when I needed it most.
Today I attended an awards lunch for teachers who had been nominated by students for excellence in teaching at the college where I work. I was very excited to be one of those receiving an award. What elevated this to a surprise from God is that I found who nominated me. It was a student that I've had for several classes over the past two years. She started out slowly, but has really worked hard and excelled in her work. In her letter to me she wrote that I was the one who taught her how to read in a way that she could understand. I was in tears. Her letter was so thoughtful and specific about ways that I had helped her -- things that I didn't even know were significant at the time. I will treasure this letter for a long time.
I know that I love to teach. I know that sometimes I do a good job with it. It just feels so good to be affirmed for doing something that brings me so much joy. Thank you Layla for saying thanks. I'm so proud of the progress you have made and for the willingness to thank those who have assisted you in your journey. And thank you for God having this ceremony at a time when I needed it most!

No comments: