Friday, May 9, 2008

Noah's Ark



My first car was a white Buick skylark. I learned to drive it in the cemetery near our house. One of the distinguishing features of my first car was that it had been in a small accident and the letters, "skyl" had fallen off the logo -- hence it only said "Ark." So I called my little white car, "The Ark."




I didn't know it at the time, but one day my house would resemble Noah's ark. I'm not simply referring to the twins who came two who came two-by-two.




I'm primarily referring to the abundance of animals that live in our home. Not the pets, although we've had a number of those as well. I'm talking about animals of the stuffed variety. Andrew and Caleb have this thing about their animals. They are like little friends to them. Their animals have personalities and a family structure that I still struggle to grasp. These animals are divided up into families and clans and they each have their own unique role. It is not uncommon for me to walk into a room to find a full blown game of animal soccer being played, to see animals using light sabers in a Star Wars like battle, or to come home from a run to see animals hiding all over our yard as the children go on hunting trips.




Andrew's polar bear, Fridge, is a frequent visitor to our photos. Fridge goes on most of the family outings and sometimes sneaks his way to school. He "slips" into Andrew's pocket and peaks out when he wants to see something. Fridge also loves to have his picture taken!



I love this side of my children. I enjoy watching their imaginations flow. I like getting into their world and learning about the personalities of their "friends." I encourage this side of their play as I think it makes them great writers and story tellers. I will be so sad when these friends get packed up into bins. But for now I celebrate the imaginations that God has given my children and try to enjoy every moment.

No comments: