Friday, May 2, 2008

Be the Surprise


One of the things that I didn't write about when I talked about Surprise Me God is that I also found a book by the same author titled Be The Surprise. While I am not officially doing a "Be the Surprise" faith experiment, I realize that with my personality type I am very likely to see God in the act of serving others.
So, yesterday was May Day. You know, the day where people hang flower baskets on door knobs, ring the bell, and run away. Or maybe you don't know. It seems that this tradition has really died out. I wanted to introduce my children to this act of giving, so we purchased two bundles of tulips yesterday and set out to bless two families in our neighborhood.
The first house we stopped at was Bernice and Neil's. Bernice is our neighbor who is dying from leukemia. It was the first I had brought the children with me to visit her and I was so glad that we did. While we were there I watched my daughter's heart in action. She felt so much compassion for Bernice that she took off her favorite charm that she had hanging on her jacket and gave it to Bernice. For Rachel this was a huge gift. And it almost made me cry.
The second house we stopped at was Howard's. Howard is an older man in our neighborhood who recently lost his wife. Currently his son and daughter-in-law are living with him, but they will be returning to Japan in June -- and Howard will have to leave his home. He is very sad about this. So we spent over an hour at his home talking with Howard, his son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter. While we went to bless someone else, I strongly believe that we received a huge gift as we sat in their home and talked. This is a wonderful family and I felt so honored to be in their home. I wish that I had gotten to know them sooner. But I won't let the "I wishes" diminish the joy that I felt as we sat in their home. Instead I will use those regrets to push myself to interact with more people -- and to step out of the box of my comfort zone. I receive so much joy from serving others -- and as I do this it really takes the focus off the pain and issues of my own life.

No comments: